Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sitting Quietly

My title for this blog has a double meaning.
1) I am sitting quietly, literally. It is a nice moment before I have to finish getting ready for work and to enter the studio full of loud kids. This is the first week back to dance after the Christmas holiday and my 6-9 year olds are sure to be a handful. My beautiful little animals are also sitting with me. Pumpkin on her window seat enjoying the sunlight coming through, Lucy in her pink princess bed under the desk I'm sitting at, and Tex sprawled out on the rug in front of the doorway. Ken is at the gym working out, enjoying himself. I have much to be thankful for... I notice it most in simple, quiet times like these.

2) My other reason for naming this entry Sitting Quietly is that it's actually a chapter title in the book I just finished. I honestly can't say enough about this novel. I think I mentioned it in my previous blog. It's called Snowflower and the Secret Fan by the amazing Lisa See. It's one of those book that you feel really educated after you complete it. Not that is was difficult to read, but there is just so much I learned. So much I was unaware of. Who would have thought I'd choose to read and enjoy a book about 19th century Chinese culture? The plot and the characters and the details See gives the reader were outstanding and held my attention through the entire 253 pages. That may not seem like a long book, but when you see the type and margins, you'll understand why it took me about 5 days to read it. I highly recommend any female to buy this book. You'll be so thankful to be an American and so thankful to live in modern times. However, some parts of this book actually made me envy these women. They learned so much about themselves, were the unsung heroes of each family, and the word lazy would never be a part of their lifestyle... I really admire the culture and the women I read about. Like I said, I can't enough about it. I could go on and on.

So besides reading this book, starting back to work, and hanging out here w/ Lucy, Tex and Pumpkin, there isn't much new going on. I do have a few prayer requests.
1) My friend Gina, who is also an Alpha Phi Sister, has to put her dog Maggie to sleep tomorrow. If you are an animal lover, you know how heartbreaking this is. Please keep her in your prayers. Maggie has lived a really long life, but this is never an easy task for even the bravest people in the world.
2) My mom has begun taking CNA courses so that she can get a better job. On top of these classes, she is still working her normal job, plus has lots of reading/studying to do. Please pray that she gets through it and doesn't give up. I know she really wants to accomplish this.
3) My Pa is doing better from his stroke (which he had mid-November) but please continue to pray for his recovery.

Emily-- please post more Harper pics! :)

Thats all for now. Almost time for work.

No comments: